Tuesday, August 09, 2005

Longing for less is still Longing!!!






 

My friends, Michael and Ron, and I used to sell our baskets in Memphis (as well as nationwide, even though we still lived WAY below the poverty level!). "Jeanette," of the visitor's center, introduced us to Michael, the reporter. He and Steve made the trek over to Hollis, but got lost on the Forest Service roads. Connie from the Hollis Country Store drive them the last few miles. I remember making a gumbo with my home-canned bacon, venison, beef, and chicken, as well as a blackberry pie and homemade bread. I probably even baked the bread in the clay oven outside, but I can't remember for sure. Sometimes I miss those days with no electricity. Life was simpler. There were no bills to speak of and an abundance of free time. Well, I don't know if I should call it 'free time,' since most of it was spent weaving to scrape by, but at least I wasn't bound to a timeclock. Today, I sit typing at my computer, in my air-conditioned house, playing my electric harp, and working at a job that I don't particularly like, and long those days of unhurried bliss. But then I step outside, feel the 100-degree air sear my face, parch throat, smother my lungs, and wake back up. Yes, life is better now. I don't have to suffer with carpal tunnel, or worry if enough baskets are going to sell to get home.
Alan says I have all around angst, and unhappiness is my general condition.
I say, "I'm a princess and it's my job to long for more."

 
I was a little nervous about putting Michael and Ron online, but after I found out they now accept Visas and Mastercard, I think they'd enjoy the extra press.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home